Fuzzy Labs are a Manchester based startup that helps our customers productionise machine learning through Open Source MLOps. We’re growing our team of engineers to help deliver our client projects.
In case you’re new to it, MLOps is pretty much DevOps for machine learning. But don’t worry, you won’t need an existing MLOps background to apply for this role. You’ll learn as you go by immersing yourself in this exciting new field.
What we're looking for
This is an opportunity for an ambitious software engineer to join our growing team and help deliver MLOps projects to our customers. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional engineer, and also motivated by the opportunity to be at the forefront of MLOPs adoption.
We’ve seen considerable growth in 2023, which will continue through 2024 as we build on our reputation as Open Source MLOps experts, while working with the community, and delivering solutions to our clients. The ideal candidate would be motivated to grow and progress in line with the company’s ambitions.
Due to the sensitive nature of some projects, you will be expected to undergo UK government security clearance after you start (at SC level - see this link for more information). This will include a credit check and criminal records check. As a result, we’re only able to consider candidates who have been resident in the UK for 5 or more years.
A typical day
You’ll work within an engineering squad and take part in every stage of the project delivery lifecycle, including:
- Working with customers to understand their needs and recommend appropriate solutions, and supporting the customer on an on-going basis.
- Implementing features to a high standard of engineering, which includes good documentation and automated testing.
- Taking part in sprint planning sessions, retrospectives and code reviews,
- Staying up-to-date with a fast-moving industry, embracing new tools and frameworks,
- Working as part of the team, sharing and reviewing ideas, and communicating your ideas well with colleagues and customers alike.
As well as client work, we also set aside time each week to work on R&D projects and produce content in the form of blogs and videos. These projects are how we keep on top of a fast-moving technology landscape, in addition to being our greatest source of marketing. You’ll have the opportunity to craft your own voice in the MLOPs community through R&D content.
- Based in Greater Manchester, UK (hybrid working available).
- Eligible for UK government security clearance (SC level).
- A passion for coding, data science, and open source technologies.
- Fluency in Python 3 and a willingness to learn new languages and technologies as needed.
- Two or more years of experience working in machine learning, data science, or MLOps.
- A curiosity mindset: our team is made up of smart, curious people who are always expanding their knowledge, and exploring new and emerging technologies. If you get excited about keeping up with the newest large language models, or figuring out how to scale generative models in the cloud, then you’ll fit right in.
- Excellent communication skills; both in customer-facing and internal team communication.
- Experience delivering software using an agile development methodology.
- Demonstrable experience with cloud computing, for example AWS, Google Cloud or Azure, along with modern DevOps tools and techniques.
- Fluent in our core software tooling: Git, Unix/Linux, Docker, CI/CD. A strong opinion on their IDE / editor of choice is welcome ;)
- Comfortable with modern machine learning tools, for instance TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch or SKLearn.
By joining a small company you’ll have the chance to make a real impact on its future. There’s plenty of room for growth and we’ll work with you to help you realise your technical and personal ambitions because your success and the company’s success are one and the same.
As part of our offer you’ll also be able to enrol in an employee share scheme after your probation period, giving you a real stake in the business.
Don’t worry, there’s no HR department. If you’d like to work with us, send us a CV and, most importantly, a link to your Github (or Bitbucket, etc). If you’ve got a Kaggle account, tech blog, cool side-project, or Instagram for your cat, dog, etc, send us that too.