Fuzzy Labs are a Manchester based startup that helps our customers productionise machine learning through Open Source MLOps. We’re growing our team of engineers to help deliver our client projects.
In case you’re new to it, MLOps is pretty much DevOps for machine learning. But don’t worry, you won’t need an existing MLOps background to apply for this role. You’ll learn as you go, alongside the rest of the team.
What we're looking for
This is an opportunity for an ambitious senior software engineer to take a leading role in our growing team. If you’re not only an exceptional engineer, but also have an interest in people, and what inspires those around you to do great things, then you’re the right fit for this role.
We’ve seen considerable growth in 2022, which will continue through 2023 as we build on our reputation as Open Source MLOps experts, while working with the community, and delivering solutions to our clients. The ideal candidate would be motivated to grow and progress in line with the company’s ambitions.
Due to the sensitive nature of some of our projects, you may be required to undergo a UK government security clearance check after you start. See this link for more information.
As well as being a hands-on technologist and spending a lot of your time in the code, you’ll take overall responsibility for project delivery, customer communication, and team leadership. This includes:
- Working closely with the customer to understand their needs and recommend appropriate solutions, and supporting the customer on an on-going basis,
- Leading sprint planning sessions, retrospectives and code reviews,
- Staying up-to-date with a fast-moving industry, embracing new tools and frameworks,
- Working as part of the team, sharing and reviewing ideas, mentoring and guiding team members through technology, architecture, and implementation details,
- Leading by example: demonstrating what good looks like through doing,
- Helping to grow the team by taking part in hiring and interviewing,
- Helping to write proposals for new clients, and participating in the technical side of the sales process.
As well as client work, we also set aside time each week to work on R&D projects and produce content in the form of blogs and videos. These projects are how we keep on top of a fast-moving technology landscape, in addition to being our greatest source of marketing. You’ll have the opportunity to craft your own voice in the MLOPs community through R&D content.
- Based in Greater Manchester, UK (hybrid working available).
- Eligible for UK government security clearance.
- A passion for coding, data science, and open source technologies.
- 2+ years of experience in a senior engineering role.
- Ability to lead and mentor a small team of developers.
- Excellent communication skills; both in customer-facing and internal team communication.
- Experience delivering software using an agile development methodology.
- Fluency in Python 3 and a willingness to learn new languages and technologies as needed.
- Experience with cloud computing, for example AWS, Google Cloud or Azure, along with modern DevOps tools and techniques.
- Fluent in our core software tooling: Git, Unix/Linux, Docker, CI/CD. A strong opinion on your IDE / editor of choice is welcome ;)
- Familiarity with modern machine learning tools, for instance TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch or SKLearn. Commercial experience with these is not essential.
- Knowledge of MLOps is not essential, but some awareness of this emerging space is good to have.
By joining a small company you’ll have the chance to make a real impact on its future. There’s plenty of room for growth and we’ll work with you to help you realise your technical and personal ambitions because your success and the company’s success are one and the same.
As part of our offer you’ll also be able to enrol in an employee share scheme after your probation period, giving you a real stake in the business.
Don’t worry, there’s no HR department. If you’d like to work with us, send us a CV and, most importantly, a link to your Github (or Bitbucket, etc). If you’ve got a Kaggle account, tech blog, cool side-project, or Instagram for your cat, dog, etc, send us that too.