Fuzzy Labs are a Manchester based startup that helps our clients productionise machine learning through Open Source MLOps. We exist to help harness and channel the power of AI more quickly, to make positive change and use AI for good.
We are growing our team of engineers to help deliver an increasing number of client projects. You won’t need an existing MLOps background to apply for this role. You’ll learn as you go by immersing yourself in this exciting new field.
What we’re looking for
We’ve seen considerable growth in 2023, which will continue through 2024 as we build on our reputation as Open Source MLOps experts, while working with the community, and delivering solutions to our clients. The ideal candidate would be motivated to grow and progress in line with the company’s ambitions.
As well as being a great engineer, motivated by the chance to be at the forefront of MLOps adoption, you’ll also enjoy being part of a culture that values:
- Loving what we do: a real passion for Open Source, MLOps and taking pride in great work.
- Just trying it: MLOps is an exciting new field. We love to develop new skills, solve new problems and thrive on a challenge.
- Being greater than the sum of parts: we are a team, one that isn’t just us but our customers and our community.
- Positive impact: AI is going to change the world. We choose to use it for good and leave a positive legacy.
A typical day
You’ll work within an engineering squad and take part in every stage of the project delivery lifecycle, including:
- Working directly with clients to understand their needs and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Owning the delivery of key features (planning, architecting, coding, delegating).
- Ensuring our high engineering standards are maintained and our clients are delighted.
- Helping to run sprint planning sessions, retrospectives and code reviews.
- Staying up-to-date with a fast-moving industry, embracing new tools and frameworks.
- Coaching and mentoring junior members of your team.
- Upskilling and coaching clients in MLOps.
As well as client work, we also set aside time to work on R&D projects and produce content in the form of blogs and videos. These projects are how we keep on top of a fast-moving technology landscape, in addition to being our greatest source of marketing. You’ll have the opportunity to craft your own voice in the MLOps community through R&D content.
Skills and Experience
Our team is made up of a mix of backgrounds. We are looking for smart, curious people who are always expanding their knowledge, and exploring new and emerging technologies. If you get excited about keeping up with the newest large language models, or figuring out how to scale generative models in the cloud, then you’ll fit right in.
- A passion for coding, data science, and open source technologies.
- Ability to write and review production-grade Python.
- Experience with cloud computing, for example AWS, Google Cloud or Azure, along with modern DevOps practices and infrastructure-as-code tools.
- Experience delivering software using an agile development methodology.
- Fluency in our core software tooling: Git, Unix/Linux, Docker. Plus, a strong opinion on your IDE / editor of choice is welcome ;)
- Machine learning experience is not a requirement, but you should ideally be aware of different machine learning applications, tools, and technologies.
- Eligible for UK government security clearance (see below).
Due to the sensitive nature of some projects, you will be expected to undergo UK government security clearance after you start (at SC level - see this link for more information). This will include a credit check and criminal records check.
By joining a small company you’ll have the chance to make a real impact on its future. There’s plenty of room for growth and we’ll work with you to help you realise your technical and personal ambitions because your success and the company’s success are one and the same.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday rising to 30 with service.
- Equity option scheme, giving you a genuine stake in the business.
- Hybrid working.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
We take an organised hybrid approach. This means we all come into the office Monday and Thursday as we concentrate co-working activities into these days (sprint planning, project scheduling, social lunches etc). The rest of the week is your choice on working in the office or at home. The office is available 24/7; it's in Manchester city centre (GM DiSH on Albert Square).
If you’d like to work with us, send us a CV to the email address below, and include a few words about yourself, and what interests you about the role and Fuzzy Labs. We love to see your passion for technology, so please include any links to your Github, Kaggle, tech blog, and cool side-projects, if you have them.